Rewrite the bold sentences using must have, may/might have, can’t have.
Show example Hide example
Your mother looked angry. Perhaps you forgot to call her last night.
You might have forgotten to call her last night.
- 1.It definitely wasn’t my brother who called you all night long. He was sleeping.
It.can’t have been my brother
- 2.We are sure he forgot about your birthday. Or else, why didn’t he call?
He.must have forgotten about your birthday
- 3.It is certain you left without saying goodbye to anyone. They all were puzzled after you had gone home.
You.must have left without saying goodbye to anyone
- 4.I am not sure whether they flew to Sri Lanka. Nevertheless, they were looking forward to their holiday in an exotic place.
They.might have flown to Sri Lanka
- 5.Sue definitely didn’t buy anything in that shop. She is saving money for her trip.
Sue.can’t have bought anything in that shop
- 6.Perhaps everything became clear after my last explanation. I did my best to provide the detailed information.
Everything.might have become clear after my last explanation
- 7.John is sure he passed his driving test with flying colors. All the instructors looked satisfied and smiled at him.
John.must have passed his driving test with flying colors
- 8.I don’t believe that Kitty was so rude to you. She is the most polite girl I have ever talked to.
Kitty.can’t have been so rude to you
- 9.You have probably made many mistakes in your essay. Your grade could be much higher.
You.might have made many mistakes in your essay
- 10.It goes without saying that your brother defended someone who was dear to him. Or why did he have to fight in the street?
Your brother.must have defended someone who was dear to him